Monday, May 27, 2013

Casey Parks - Rodeo UGF


Casey Park – UGF rodeo team- Ask an Athlete April 2013 from Polly

     A transfer from Highline Community College (Washington), Casey Park, came to the University of Great Falls to wrestle.  When he arrived, he learned that UGF had a rodeo team, and he was game for that.  Growing up on a ranch in Enumclaw, Washington, both his mom and dad did rodeo.

     “We had five horses, an arena, cows, and what not,” says Park, but his dad would not let him do any of the rodeo events until he was eighteen.  Park was involved in high school wrestling at the time and didn’t have time for other activities.  He has been involved in sports for many years and is majoring in Health and Physical Education at UGF.  He hopes to become a Physical Education teacher.  

1.  How long have you been doing rodeo?

     I have done calf roping for a long time, and participated in that event until recently when my calf roping horse was injured.  I just started steer wrestling and have made a short go at it at three rodeos.  I’m coming along well.  I did my first spring college rodeo this weekend.  I did well.  Once I get the rodeo jitters out of me, I will do better.  

2.  Why rodeo?  How did you get started?

     I was around rodeo all the time growing up.  My parents were both involved in the events.  However, I was too busy with other activities and didn’t really take it up until I arrived here at UGF.

3.  What is your weekly training routine?

    I’m on the UGF wrestling team as well.  I work out a lot for that sport.  I have to keep my weight down. I do lot of cardio, running, weights. I do it all.  I work out every day.  And, there are days when I work out twice. I even do a run before class in the morning.    

4.  What other activities do you do?

     When I go home on break, I’m a wrestling coach at a club in Enumclaw.  Sometimes, I box.

5.  What keeps you motivated?

     I just like being around horses and the rodeo environment.  It is a long tradition in my family.  Sometimes, I want to be great at everything I do.

6.  Have you faced any setbacks and how did you overcome them?

     This last weekend I did two rodeos.  I was the second guy out on the steer wrestling.  I didn’t quite catch the steer and he put me on the ground pretty hard. I injured the AC joint in my shoulder and now, I am on a medical out for possibly a few weeks.  For steer wrestling, you have to toughen up.  It is physically demanding.  I have bruises and bumps.  It goes with the territory.  Those steers can be pretty nasty.

7.  What tips do you have for someone who wants to get started in rodeo?

     Well, it is not for the weak, but the rewards are great.  The people are a good group to be around.  It is an old sport, a lot of history here, and that makes you feel good.  I would stress that people come out to our college rodeo.  It is definitely a good experience and if you have never been to a rodeo, you can see what it’s like. 

8.  What health benefits have you seen through your participation in rodeo events?

     I can’t think of anything.  There is a sense of pride, and that does make you feel good.  You have to learn to be mentally tough.  You have to have a high threshold of pain.  You know it’s going to happen.

9.  Do you have any warm-up and cool-down tips?

     I always stretch before steer wrestling: legs, arms, run a few laps to get warm.  You are only out there for five seconds, and you don’t want to tear anything.

10.  How do you incorporate nutrition into your workout routine?

     During wrestling season I worry about my weight.  I have to stay healthy.  But basically, I always eat healthy.  I have a knowledge of what is good for me.  I also know what’s not good for me: pizza, cheeseburgers and fries.  During the rodeo season, I try to not eat garbage.  So, during the week, I cook for myself.  I eat mostly protein and vegetables, and a lot of meat.  When you are on the road with rodeo, it is hard to eat healthy in restaurants.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. Cattle Mineral Supplements

    ReplyDelete