Saturday, August 23, 2014

Ask an Athlete: Dr. John Avery

Dr. John Avery – Ask an Athlete
     In June, at the Senior Montana Olympic Games, local retired orthopedic surgeon, Dr. John H. Avery swam to victory in events in his age group (70 – 74).  He placed first in the 100 yard freestyle, first in the 100 yard backstroke, first in the 50 yard freestyle, and first in the 50 yard backstroke.  His placement in the Montana Games qualifies him for competition in for the 2015 National Senior Olympics in Minneapolis.  Since 2000, Dr. Avery has participated in many statewide senior competitions. He has also entered swimming events nationwide. He participated in the 2011 US Masters Swimming Spring National Championship in Mesa, Arizona and more recently, the 2014 US Masters Swimming Spring National Championship in Santa Clara, California.
1.  How long have you been swimming?
     I grew up in a small community called Ogden Dunes in northwest Indiana. When I could walk, I started swimming in Lake Michigan nearby.
2.  How did you choose swimming?
     At age twelve, my mother sent me to the Coca Cola three week camp and swim meet in Cincinnati, Ohio.  There were very good swimmers and competitors there.  I learned how to breathe and how to turn.  A few years later, Gus Stager, swim coach from the University of Michigan, and the 1960 Olympic coach, came to our community to train swimmers for three summers. I was very fortunate to be a part of that. Later, I attended the Culver Summer School in Plymouth, Indiana, for academics mixed with sports.  I swam and ran track there.  I went on to swim for my high school and later, in college, I swam for the University of Minnesota.  In medical school, I did not have a lot of time to swim.  I practiced medicine in Great Falls for thirty two years and swam off and on when time permitted.
3.  What is your weekly routine? What other activities do you do?
     I am in a master’s competitive swimming program at the Peak Health & Wellness Center called Coach on Deck.  I practice Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, doing swim sprints and drills.  I swim on my own Monday, Wednesday and Saturday or Sunday.  I take one day off a week from swimming.
     I try to walk three miles a day. In addition, I walk with my dog a half a mile.  I hunt a lot in the fall for elk and deer.  I have run three marathons.  The last one I did in under three hours.
4.  What keeps you motivated?
     I swim to improve my body and my times.  My goal is to get better.  At the Montana Senior Olympics, I had faster times in the 100 yard and 50 yard freestyle events.  I’m really a freestyler.  
5.  Is swimming something anyone can do?
     Oh sure!  But you have to take lessons to learn and to progress.  It takes time.  Just put your mind to it and get the right coaching for safety.
6.  What tips do you have for someone who wants to get started?
     Swimming is a lifelong activity.  Whenever you start take lessons.  Then, as you develop, continue with the coaching.
7.  What health benefits have you seen?
     Swimming exercises your whole body: upper body, the legs, and all the muscles.  If you swim all the strokes, that is a better way to exercise.  Swimming is good for the heart and the lungs.  It is a way of keeping your weight down.  You expend a lot of calories.
8.  How do you incorporate nutrition into your workout routine?
     My wife (Susan) and I just plain eat nutritious foods.  We eat fish from Alaska (which I catch) three times a week.  We eat a lot of elk.  We have vegetables from our garden.  We like a lot of fruit.  It is kind of a routine; a lifestyle for us.
9.  Do you have any warm-up and cool down tips?
     The swimming warm-ups in the Coach on Deck program are fairly short.  We swim 100 yards of any stroke and kick 100 yards. We may swim another 50 yards building into the start of the program and work to increase our speed.  We start slowly, move into medium speed, and then swim at a faster speed.  We do 100 yards as a cool down.
10.  Have you faced any setbacks (injuries) and how did you overcome them?
     Presently, I have a little shoulder problem and that is the biggest problem for swimmers.  It can come from the wrong technique or just happen.  I don’t know if my condition is from swimming or from lifting weights.  It hasn’t held me back.      

     Photo Op:  Larry Beckner took pictures of Dr. Avery at the Senior Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment