Saturday, August 23, 2014

Joslyn Tinkle - Ask an Athlete

Joslyn Tinkle:  Ask an Athlete

     As a senior playing for the Stanford University Cardinals Women’s basketball team, much of Joslyn Tinkle’s life has centered around basketball.   She has been a two time Montana Gatorade Player of the Year and McDonald’s All-American in high school at Big Sky High School in Missoula, Montana. Her father, Wayne Tinkle, is the head men’s basketball coach at the University of Montana.  Growing up in Great Falls, mom, Lisa (McLeod) played basketball for C.M. Russell High School, and later, was a standout for the Lady Griz.  Sister, Elle, plays for the Gonzaga Bulldogs women’s basketball team.  Brother, Tres, plays for Hellgate High School in Missoula.

     “We get into it,” said Tinkle, “the driveway basketball- that can really go bad at the Tinkle household.”


1.  Why basketball?  How did you get started? 
Growing up I never had that “dream school” that most people have when they know they want to pursue a particular sport. So when I was getting recruited out of high school my options were pretty wide open and I was interested in looking at as many schools as possible.  Stanford happened to be my last official visit and I fell in love with it as soon as I was driving down the famous “Palm Drive.” The girls on the team were great, as well as the coaches…not to mention it is the most beautiful campus I have ever seen.  I loved that it challenged me academically and I would leave here with a great education.

I have had a great experience here and would love to pursue playing basketball after Stanford.


I have been playing basketball since as long as I can remember.  I was lucky because both my parents were stud basketball players and I grew up having two great coaches.  Growing up I got to watch my dad play professionally overseas and I fell in love with the game at a very young age. I think I started playing competitively in 2nd grade.

2.  What is your weekly training routine?
I spend LOTS of time training for basketball each week.  We practice 6 days a week for about 3.5 hours each day.  Then we lift weights a couple times week, which usually lasts another hour.

3.  What other activities do you do?
 When I’m not busy with basketball or studying, I enjoy hanging with friends, skyping my family, going shopping, getting my nails done, and I LOVE going to movies.

4.  What keeps you motivated?
I am very self-motivated person and try to push myself each and every day to be better.  However, I believe a lot of that motivation comes from my background.  I grew up having both my parents always supporting me in everything I do, so I guess a lot of my motivation comes from wanting to make my family proud. 

5.  Have you faced any setbacks?  How did you overcome them?
Every athlete faces obstacles and goes through hardships.  Fortunately for me I have never had any serious kind of injury or setback, but I have definitely had my share of tough times.  I try to be a very positive/happy person, so when I am having a hard time with something I turn to my family and faith to help get me through it.  I know that everything will be ok and I do my best to keep focused and continue to work hard.

6.  What tips do you have for someone who wants to get started in basketball?
My advice for any young person wanting to start playing basketball is to first enjoy playing the game.  It is important to do something you like to do, and not because someone else wants you to do it.  Be disciplined, committed, and work harder than anyone else.

7.  What health benefits have you seen?
Basketball has helped me maintain a very healthy lifestyle.  I am constantly active, and because playing basketball requires a lot of work, sweat, and energy, it is important to fuel your body with healthy foods and lots of water!



8.  Do you have any warm-up and cool-down tips?
When I am getting ready to play basketball I always make sure I stretch and get a good warm up in before I go 100%.  I drink lots of water and fluids to help keep me hydrated.  After my work out I make sure I have a healthy snack right away.  It is important to take care of your body; therefore I sometimes ice my body, stretch, and definitely get rest!

9.  How do you incorporate nutrition into your workout routine?
Nutrition is so important for any athlete, and I have learned so much about nutrition and what works for my body since being at Stanford.  Don’t get me wrong, I love my sweets and candy, but I make sure I limit those when games are near.  I don’t ever drink pop, usually just water or Gatorade.  Because I burn off a lot of calories during practice, I always make sure I eat a good meal directly after my work out. I eat lots of protein, fruits and veggies…and occasionally a candy bar every now and then.



Photo Op:  https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5RMvD898J6qc26kxhdzjcelsC0LQfLvueeFdW18ntyZvysJryPghttps://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq5jv0Z3_oIzL_PR2iDi7MXrqyWDM_oQh6sJ5kWka3FUssjdeX

No comments:

Post a Comment